Hello!

I have installed MySQL 4.1.21 on my iBook which is running Mac OS X (Tiger 10.4.8). I have installed MySQL without any problems, I activated PHP and CGI-Scripts in httpd.conf and erverything was fine. With 'mysql' I have been able to log in to the mysql command line.

Unfortunately, I thought it would be better to remove the user account with no username and set a password to root. I removed the user account with no username and everything was fine. Then I tried to set a password for root, following the manual:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/default-privileges.html

shell> mysql -u root
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('MY_PASSWORD');
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'cornelia-menzels-ibook-g4.local' = PASSWORD('MY_PASSWORD');

Unfortunately, I've got a message, that '0 rows were affected ...'. I was surprised and tried it with 'mysqladmin':

shell> mysqladmin -u root password "MY_PASSWORD"
shell> mysqladmin -u root -h localhost password "MY_PASSWORD"

Since then I have not been able to log in to the mysql command line. I tried to reset the root password following the manual, but no success:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/resetting-permissions.html

The error message I receive is the following:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

Is there somebody who can help me with this? I tried dot remove the mysql installation. In terminal I removed the /usr/local/mysql directory, but when I reinstall, I encounter the same problems. If there is somebody who has a hint how to remove the mysql install completely, that would be usefull to be able to install mysql again and leave it without password insecure. But at least the installation would collaborate.

With Linux it was pretty easy setting up a local test server, but with Mac OS X I was not succesfull till now. Unbelievable.

Kind regards,
Cornelia

Cornelia Menzel

Spanien / EspaƱa / Spain