The error shows that the passwords doesn't match. You just must have made some mistake when resetting the password. But this can be fixed: 1) You can start the server with the --skip-grant-tables option that disables password checking, then you log in as root, set the password, and the restart the server without the --skip-grant-tables.
or
2) Use the --init-file option to run a file that resets the password. Bith methods are described here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/resetting-permissions.html
It is a rare occurence, but the problem might also be this:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-too-long.html

Best regards
Anders Karlsson