Come to think of it, might it be that you are using an old mysql client, possibly one that exists as part of an old installation of MySQL or in the case of Linux, one that was installed as part of the Linux distro installation? Some of these older versions of MySQL Client does not support the more secure password encryption methods used by newer MySQL versions, and you will get just the errors that you are getting. So if you are using Linux, do a "which mysql" and see what mysql client you are using. Also do a "mysql --version" which will show the command line client version. You have to watch for this if the client has version 4.0 or earlier, and you have server with version 4.1 or higher, then this is surely the problem you are experiencing.
Read more here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/password-hashing.html

Best regards
Anders Karlsson