Wow, well that is just neat. It's too bad I left PHP for TurboGears.

The second problem is the buzz of frameworks (TurboGears, JBoss, etc) which
use/want to use MySQL as a backend. This is really the only issue I have
with MySQL. They do support other databases, and its not like anyone is
twisting their arm to use MySQL, but the option is nice since people already
know MySQL(if they need to send a raw statement.

On 2/22/07, Jim Winstead <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 01:39:49PM -0900, software advocate wrote:
> This is exactly why someone needs to develop a non-gpl mysql drop in
client
> for PHP. This would get around license costs, despite what MySQL AB has
> say, this would be completely legal. Ask your local rep from the FSF.
One
> could always reverse engineer the protocol like the Samba team. Also the
> fact is, an idea can NOT be copyrighted. You can read the source, take
> notes, or even make documentation to create your own client.

In fact, MySQL AB has developed exactly such a thing. (Look for info on
'mysqlnd'.)

This licensing comment in the internals documentation is old, and is
supposed to be removed. Unfortunately, updating the internals
documentation is not something that gets a lot of priority.

Jim Winstead
MySQL Inc.