From: Peter Brawley [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 22, 2007 12:33 PM
To: James Tu
Cc: MySQL List
Subject: Re: Finding a record in a result set

 >I want to do a query of all employees from Maine, ordered
by hiring date,
 >and figure out where Joe falls in that list. (i.e. which
record number
is he?)

If 'Joe' is a unique name LOL...

SELECT 1 + COUNT(*)
FROM employees
WHERE name <> 'Joe' AND state = 'MA' AND hiredate < <datevalue>;

PB

James Tu wrote:
Is there some quick way to do the following in MySQL?  (I
know I can
use PHP to search through the result set, but I wanted to see if
there's a quick way using some sort of query)

Let's say I know that Joe is from Maine.
I want to do a query of all employees from Maine, ordered by hiring
date, and figure out where Joe falls in that list. (i.e.
which record
number is he?)

-James

--MySQL General Mailing List
To unsubscribe:

--No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
3/22/2007 7:44 AM