Well hopefully, typing "quit" at the mysql console get you back to the shell.

Otherwise, you need to open a Gnome Console, KDE Konsole or Windows CommandPrompt from the different menus on your operating system

If the mysql directory is on your PATH you can use mysqldump anywhere, if not, move to the mysql/bin directory and then you can run it without any problem.

Hope that help.

Carlos

Red Hope wrote:
Oh boy, and here's the big stupid question. How do I
get to the shell prompt? Sorry! Yea, I'm that newbie. :)

Thank you,
Lillian

--- Carlos Proal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One common error is trying to do this inside the
mysql console, instead of the shell prompt, i think thats your problem because at least the first one is correct.

Carlos

Red Hope wrote:
Hey y'all,
I've been fussing with the MySQL dump procedure to
backup my stuff. I'm on MySQL 5.0.41 and I have
tried
so hard to get it to dump my files into .sql
format
but my syntax is wrong, wrong, wrong. lol
I put below examples what I've been entering to
get my
databases backed up. I always get an error or I
get
locked into the "->" thing if I don't use the
semicolons.
Any help would be awesome!
Thank you,
Lillian

Tried & Wrong
mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql
mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql;
mysqldump -u root -ppassword -databases test >
test.sql;

____________________________________________________________________________________ Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more. http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC