Yep, good for you, welcome to the "real" world
You are changing the prompt but are still inside the dbms, you need to get out, because mysqldump is an application (.exe file) not a sql command, ie
Your MySQL connection id is 9
Server version: 5.0.41-community-nt-log MySQL Community Edition (GPL)

mysql>
mysql> quit
Bye

D:\lillian>mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql;

but maybe after the quit, the window will close, if that happens, open a new command prompt from "start -> programs -> accesories --> command prompt" and then run mysqldump

Carlos

Red Hope wrote:
Hey y'all,
I use charming Windows XP on here. I've taken database
classes but lucky for me we never used *real* MySQL.
Below I typed up exactly what I put into the MySQL
prompt and this is what it kicks back to me.

Lillian

mysql>
mysql> \R shell>
PROMPT set to 'shell>'

shell>
shell>mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql;
ERROR 1064 <4200>: You have an error in your SQL
syntax; checkthe manual that corresponds to your MySQL
server version for the right syntax to use near
'mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql' at line
1

--- Carlos Proal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Can you email us the complete command and the error
?

Carlos

Red Hope wrote:
Well, that went over my head.  :)  I understand
what
you're telling me, how to get there, but not how
to do
it. bleh.
When I start up MySQL Command Line Client, I'm
always
prompted at "mysql>". So I told it to switch from
that
prompt to "shell>" prompt. It always starts up in
"mysql>" prompt. Once I'm in shell, I tried the
dump
procedure and it kept saying it couldn't connect.
So I
checked what databases it had, it shows them. I
can't
even switch to a database because of no
connection.
I'm not exactly sure why there's no 'connection'
at
all.

Thanks for trying so hard, Carlos!
Lillian

____________________________________________________________________________________ Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids. http://search.yahoo.com/search?fr=oni_on_mail&p=summer+activities+for+kids&cs=bz