try this

mysqldump -u root -ppassword --database test > test.sql

On 7/24/07, Red Hope <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hey y'all,
I use charming Windows XP on here. I've taken database
classes but lucky for me we never used *real* MySQL.
Below I typed up exactly what I put into the MySQL
prompt and this is what it kicks back to me.

Lillian

mysql>

mysql> \R shell>
PROMPT set to 'shell>'

shell>

shell>mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql;
ERROR 1064 <4200>: You have an error in your SQL
syntax; checkthe manual that corresponds to your MySQL
server version for the right syntax to use near
'mysqldump -u root -ppassword test > test.sql' at line
1