You appear to be correct, burried in the plethora of bullet points here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/datetime.html
"For example, TIMESTAMP values cannot be earlier than 1970 or later than
2038."

So that _is_ the root cause of the problem, but it's still a bug.

There is no reason (from a mySQL user/PHP developer's perspective) that
2038 should be my upper year limit. I should be able to make any date up
to "9999-12-31" !!?

This is absurd. We're making enterprise level tools that run at US
Government offices, The entire state of Alaska, Military, Colleges,
Fortune 500 companies.... You mean in 21 years from now, all this will
just fail miserably because of some obscure 2038 limitation? This is Y2K
all over again -- unless mySQL fixes this bug.

> So I guess either change your timestamp column to a datetime column,

Interesting thing with that, we used to use datetime columns (where
applicable) but since we store everything in UTC now, as this product is
international, we had to switch (painfully I might add) to timestamp. I
forget the exact reason, and this was about a year ago, so it may be
moot now anyways -- it had to do with using mySQL's conversion routines
so the dates would display in the GUI for the user's local timezone they
set in their profile, and those routines didn't work on datetime or some
such nonsense.

> or prevent users from putting invalid data in.

I've limited the text field to 4 digits from 5. but that doesn't make
this any less of a mySQL "issue", that's just a band-aid to mask an
inadequacy of the RDBMS.