So, I found out why we had to switch all of our datetimes to timestamps:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/time-zone-support.html

"The current time zone setting does not affect values in DATE, TIME, or
DATETIME columns."

So it appears this is a catch 22... In order to store things in UTC and then
use the user's local TZ, you need to use 'timestamps'. But then you can't
use them for years past 2038... However 'datetime' will store any date, but
you can't store in UTC and display via the TZ setting.

:-\