[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
mos wrote:

The data is quite valuable because there is a lot of competition in this particular marketplace and my competitors would like to get their hands on it. I've spent 5 years writing the software and generating the data. Let's say for the sake of argument the data is worth $1 million. How do I stop my competitor from bribing some flunky at the ISP into turning over the backup of my data or just e-mailing the MySQL password file to him? Also I don't want anyone at the ISP viewing the data or changing it because I'd be liable for any data errors.

Host the machines in-house. I think that could be done for less than a million bucks for a smallish setup.

Of course, I've only ever been a bystander with that sort of project, so the figures may be a lot higher than I'm guessing. For instance, you'd want a beefy connection installed, of course. And then there's the salary for someone to administer to everything.

I agree. If you're using shared hosting, forget about encryption. Physical access to the machines ALWAYS trumps every other kind of security, so you can't do what you're trying to do (secure data in an insecure environment). Rent a T1 line for $500/mo and charge customers what the data is worth.

Baron