I also need to protect a couple dozen Float fields and thought I could obscure them a bit by adding an offset to them based on an encrypted id stored with each row. It is not going to be as good as encryption but will help to obfuscate the data.

How much will obfuscation save you? Are you saving nickels and dimes to protect millions of dollars? I've seen people get burned by rolling their own encryption (I could tell you a great war story about a consultant I worked with who invented "encryption" for SSNs in a database).

An insurance policy is something else to consider. Heck, buy the insurance and do weak obfuscation, then get the insurance money and go to Mexico. "... I could put strychnine in the guacamole..."

Baron