mos wrote:

The data is quite valuable because there is a lot of competition in this particular marketplace and my competitors would like to get their hands on it. I've spent 5 years writing the software and generating the data. Let's say for the sake of argument the data is worth $1 million. How do I stop my competitor from bribing some flunky at the ISP into turning over the backup of my data or just e-mailing the MySQL password file to him? Also I don't want anyone at the ISP viewing the data or changing it because I'd be liable for any data errors.

Host the machines in-house. I think that could be done for less than a million bucks for a smallish setup.

Of course, I've only ever been a bystander with that sort of project, so the figures may be a lot higher than I'm guessing. For instance, you'd want a beefy connection installed, of course. And then there's the salary for someone to administer to everything.

brian