Hi Rob,

Thank you for the answer.

Yes, the two databases do not interact but I access them using ODBC connection and if I use two instances, I will need two ODBC connections setup on each production PC. If I use one instance I could use for the second connection:

;ODBC=XXX;Database=yyy

So, I prefer not to use option 1.

I did not understand option 2. If I do not use "One file per table" then all data for all databases is kept in the same set of files (IBDATA*), right? If I use "One file per table", then I could use winbolic link to place the database on a different disk, right?

Am I missing something in option 2? Is there a way to separate the data of one database without "One file per table"? How?

Thanks, Reuven

Rob Wultsch wrote:

Option 1:
Assuming you do not need the databases to interact with each other I
would setup two instances of mysql with separate datadirectories. This
should make your back process easier. Read:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/option-files.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/windows-create-option-file.html

Option 2:
You could symlink (or NTFS junction for windows using a tool like
winbolic link) the data directories for the individual databases to
different locations.

As for "One file per table" I don't think that is what you want/need.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/multiple-tablespaces.html
"Using multiple tablespaces can be beneficial to users who want to
move specific tables to separate physical disks..." and you want to
move the whole database.