unless you cant spare a few milliseconds off of each insert..
i strongly suggest to use autoincrement

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/example-auto-increment.html

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note
Everything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business
of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not
endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does
not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.