HI !

Stut schrieb:
> On 17 Sep 2008, at 22:12, Jerry Schwartz wrote:
>> I have records that should be sequentially (not auto-increment) numbered,
>> but there are gaps. Is there any elegant way of finding the gaps?
>
> Why do they need to be sequential? When this requirement comes up it's
> usually for illogical reasons.

I don't know his application,
but I do remember a similar requirement caused by some German rules on
bookkeeping which demanded that booking numbers were assigned without gaps.

That law may be illogical, but for the DB application designer this
doesn't help - s/he has no choice but to follow it.

Regards,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems GmbH,   Sonnenallee 1,   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten