On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 09:58 +0100, Stut wrote:
> Autonumber will accomplish that, so long as you don't delete any.
> And
> if you do, renumbering the bookings would cause more problems than
> it
> solved.

Autonumber has the possibility of gaps.  When a record is insert, the
counter is incremented.  It is possible that a computer crash will stop
the transaction after the increment but before the record is stored.
Whatever record is inserted next will result in a gap.

Either you have uniqueness and the possibility of gaps or no gaps and
the possibility of duplicates.  This is true even if the system is
completely manual.  That's just the way the universe is made.

And yes, if you re-number, you introduce the possibility of duplicates.

--
Just my 0.00000002 million dollars worth,
  Shawn

"Where there's duct tape, there's hope."
        Cross Time Cafe

"Perl is the duct tape of the Internet."
        Hassan Schroeder, Sun's first webmaster

"There is more than one way to do things."
        A Perl axiom