[JS] In this case, we are dealing with a list of products.

>If each row requires a unique ID use an autonumber. If your partners
>don't understand that deleted items will create gaps, explain it to
>them. IMHO you're creating a problem that doesn't exist.

[JS] I can pass along my boss's email address, if you want to explain to him
why it doesn't matter. Personally, I depend upon my job.

>If you just need sequential numbers for display purposes, generate
>them when you do the displaying. There's no need for those numbers to
>be in the database.

[JS] They are propagated into other databases that I do not control. They
are managed and used by our main office in Japan. They notice everything
(except misspellings).