On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 08:25 +0000, Glyn Astill wrote:

> > How about PostgreSQL?
> >

> I second that. You should all have a play with the 8.4 beta

I actually think a lot of primarily MySQL people are missing a lot of
great stuff in PostgreSQL. Of course I am biased but when I look at the
complaints about PostgreSQL they are largely based on years old
information that is out of date.

Alternately it is people who really don't know anything about databases
but understand how to "use" MySQL. That is obviously a compelling
argument. If I know how to use something and it does what I need, why
change? The only counter argument I can provide to you is that there is
a good chance you don't know what you are missing.

Give it a shot. There are plenty of Pg people that would be happy to
help MySQL people make their migration.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--