How did I miss this!?

> It seems like the little fish are getting eaten by the bigger fish.
>
> I understand Microsoft is now going to buy Oracle.  :-)
> (Sorry, just kidding)

> The real question is whether they will let MySQL
> wither
> and die by not providing updates for it?

Well, MySQL is open source, right? And the source is available? I'm sure
a team of devs will come to the rescue. As for MySQL, as a company, they
don't make even close to the potential money they can. People do not
really go to MySQL for support, which is the model RedHat uses. For
MySQL, it's different, because the MySQL userbase by their very nature,
solve problems for a living. They have the attitude of how can I fix
things? How do I make things work the way I want? This has a serious
adverse effect on MySQL as a company, because the number one revenue
stream for any company whos main 'product' or 'service' is open source
based, is the support contract.

> Is Oracle is too big to make MySQL updates any kind of priority?

The updates are not going to be a priority, granted - but compatibility
might be their goal. If they can produce an upgrade path straight to
Oracle, for all the current users of MySQL, the price paid for Sun, will
be like peanuts, an investment for a better future. But let's not
forget, Sun have some pretty kick ass systems on the go. I've seen their
thin client setup, for things like presentations, and just being able to
work at any terminal in the building/small group of close proximity
buildings/across the entire city   ..... *sweet!*

> It seems that the larger the company and the
> more products they have, the less interest they have in their lower
> revenue
> making products. I hope this is not the case with Oracle, but the
> updates
> in the next year will determine where MySQL is headed.
> Just one guy's opinion.
>
> Mike

It's a good opinion Mike :)