> > The problem above shouldn't be master.info related.

Sheesh, yeah, it's:

"stunnel[7765]: Connection from xxx.xx.xxx.xx:1635 REFUSED by libwrap"

which is the problem for the mysql client on the client, trying to connect
with its own port 3307 (to which the remote mysqld is tunnelled). So I need
to get that out of the way first. I have no man page for libwrap, and can't
find where stunnel's documents discuss this. Might there be a problem with
the tcpwrappers library on what was originally a Red Hat 6.0 system? Is
there some flag I'm missing to tell stunnel I really don't want the libwrap
check to be applied? I'm vague on the concept of tcpwrap - thought it only
applied to inet.d-invoked stuff, haven't run into problems with it before,
kind of wish it wasn't there if it's going to be problematic like this -
I've got good firewalls on both ends to worry about what connects to what.

Whit