Okay, password was not recognized because I had the tunnel working with the
f.q. server name rather than localhost (whereas the mysql client on the
slave will _only_ work with the tunnel if it is by the fq server name, since
localhost just goes to the local machine regardless of socket).

But reverting to 'localhost' for the slave gets me to:

010611 20:40:52  Error reading packet from server: Binary log is not open (0)

Which doesn't seem right because my.cnf is specifying the binary log the
same as it ever did (when I was running an earlier MySQL version on the
machine in the master position). In fact I just went to the binary log file
and checked it and it's capturing fresh transactions just fine.

Admittedly, I'm getting a lot of things wrong along the trail trying to
tweak stuff to get whatever's really wrong right. But what the heck am I
missing?? Is there really some way the binary log can be open for writing
but not for reading, or is the error message in error?

Whit