> Right. That was a client error. The server is the only thing which
> cares about the master.info file.

Okay, this is solved - stunnel works better when compiled without libwrap,
which can be done by changing "#define HAVE_LIBWRAP 1" to "#define
HAVE_LIBWRAP 0" in its "configure" file before running it and assembling.

> You know that the tunnel is alive.

Now I do ; )

> You know that it works using the `mysql' command-line tool from the
> slave.

Now it does.

> Given the same parameters (hostname, user, pass, etc), the MySQL
> server on the slave isn't happy.

It's still reporting:

|  1 | system user | none      | NULL | Connect | 354| waiting to reconnect after a
|failed read | NULL             |

Have also tried having the slave look for the 3307 tunnelled connection by
machine name rather than localhost (which is required for the mysql client,
but didn't need to do it before for replication - localhost worked). This
did require removing the master.info file so it would be recreated with the
change. Same result though.

I suppose I should upgrade MySQL on the slave, but upgrading MySQL usually
brings its own problems, and these versions aren't that far apart.

Whit