From: Martijn Tonies <m.ton...@upscene.com>
Sent: 17 December 2009 09:44
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Help saving MySQL

>I think that letter actually does MySQL a favour as it points out
 >
 >'MySQL has been used as a pricing lever by Oracle customers'
 >
 >That single factor says Oracle should not be allowed to control MySQL as it
 >>would enable Oracle to  more >easily raise or maintain high prices! For
 >>something to be an effective 'pricing lever' it has to be a viable  >
 >>alternative. MySQL is a very effective pricing lever on Oracle as it is a
 >>mature and proven product with >excellent support.

 I have to disagree with you there as the letter also mentions that  MySQL
isn't a viable alternative, or actually, Oracle shouldn't have  been used for
those projects in the first place.

 Give a number of other open source database systems, that particular  point
(MySQL) to drive the license price for Oracle down, is moot  because you could
use any other freely available DBMS (even for  commercial projects!) to do the
same.

 >> > Please visit
 >> > http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
 >> > and write a message to EC!

 >> Guess you don't want them to write letters like this?
 >> http://kirkwylie.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-open-letter-to-european-competition.html

 With regards,

 Martijn Tonies
 Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

 Download Database Workbench for Oracle, MS SQL Server, Sybase SQL  Anywhere,
MySQL, InterBase, NexusDB and Firebird!

 Database questions? Check the forum:
http://www.databasedevelopmentforum.com