Hi!

>>>>> "Facundo" == Facundo Garat <fga...@strixsolutions.com> writes:

Facundo> i don't really thinks this is about open source or not.

Agree, this has to do about competition and that Oracle, the leader in
revenue for databases are trying to buy MySQL, the leader in users
just to kill it off.

Facundo> MySQL became more closed when Sun bought it and while i think that
Facundo> Oracle will try to get this even more closed IMO it's time to fork it
as
Facundo> a really open source project. Monty could lead this. The are a lot of
Facundo> "forks" around that make MySQL even better that it is from SUN.

I have already done a fork, MariaDB. This was done to engage the
community that MySQL AB and Sun has been neglecting into MySQL
development.

The problem with a fork of an infrastructure program like GPL is that
it can only survive if the owner of the copyright has good intentions,
like Sun has.

With Oracle as a copyright owner, there is very little chance for a
fork to survice. I have written an analyse of this at:
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/10/importance-of-license-model-of-mysql-or.html

The promises that Oracle has done regarding MySQL are not enough to
protect MySQL from being killed as an Open Source project; When you
analyse them, they are actually promising very little now and nothing
after 5 years!

It's still not too late to save MySQL and everyone that is using MySQL
can help making a real difference.
Please visit
http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
and write a message to EC!