Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

> Facundo> i don't really thinks this is about open source or not.
>
> Agree, this has to do about competition and that Oracle, the leader
> in revenue for databases are trying to buy MySQL, the leader in
> users just to kill it off.
>
> Facundo> MySQL became more closed when Sun bought it and while i
> think that Facundo> Oracle will try to get this even more closed IMO
> it's time to fork it as Facundo> a really open source project. Monty
> could lead this. The are a lot of Facundo> "forks" around that make
> MySQL even better that it is from SUN.
>
> I have already done a fork, MariaDB. This was done to engage the
> community that MySQL AB and Sun has been neglecting into MySQL
> development.
>
> The problem with a fork of an infrastructure program like GPL is
> that it can only survive if the owner of the copyright has good
> intentions, like Sun has.
>
> With Oracle as a copyright owner, there is very little chance for a
> fork to survice. I have written an analyse of this at:
> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/10/importance-of-license-model-
of-mysql-or.html

> The promises that Oracle has done regarding MySQL are not enough to
> protect MySQL from being killed as an Open Source project; When you
> analyse them, they are actually promising very little now and
> nothing after 5 years!
>
> It's still not too late to save MySQL and everyone that is using
> MySQL can help making a real difference.
> Please visit
> http://monty-says.blogspot.com/2009/12/help-saving-mysql.html
> and write a message to EC!
>
> Regards,
> Monty
I really agree with you. Even though the dumb regulators in my country
refuse to prevent this purchase. I am really worried about OpenOffice
and VirtualBox also. I've used MySQL since my system ran Windows ME,
even though it was not supposed to run under ME. I have been
exclusively Linux (openSUSE) since 1999. I only have VirtualBox so i
can run TurboTax once a year.

I've worked with oracle and I would never trust them.

Can your fork run concurently with MySQl and what is the link to it?

I did send an email to the EU even though it will not help this
country.
--
Russ
[openSUSE 11.2 (2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop, x86_64] KDE 4.3.4 release 2,