MySQL is a huge and trusted brand, yes you could run with a fork but at the end
of the day it will never be MySQL. Its that MySQL brand name which sells the
underlying software, support packages, books, training, certifications and the
services of a huge number of Sun and independent consultants.

There are already a few forks out there but you rarely hear about them because
they are not MySQL. MySQL is more than just some code, its hundreds of
developers, its a huge community, its this list, its a trusted brand name, etc,
etc, etc. Theres so many things which make MySQL what it is and you could copy
every last line of code into a fork, give it a fancy name and spend millions on
advertising and promotion but you still won't have anything even close to MySQL.

The MySQL code will always survive in some form, regardless of who owns it but
MySQL could be coming to an end if we don't support it.

John Daisley

MySQL 5.0 Certified Database Administrator (CMDBA)
MySQL 5.0 Certified Developer
Cognos BI Developer

Telephone: +44(0)1283 537111
Mobile: +44(0)7812 451238