From: Shawn Green [mailto:shawn.l.gr...@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 3:24 PM
To: Mitchell Maltenfort
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: better way to backup 50 Gig db?

Mitchell Maltenfort wrote:
> I'm using MySQL to manage data on my computer .
>
> The total data is 50 Gig in MyISAM folders.
>
> As I type, I already have the folder with the myd, frm, etc being
> copied offsite.  As I understand it, if this computer dies tomorrow, I
> can reinstall MySQL on a new computer, drag over the archive, stick
> the folder under "data" and I'm back in business.
>
> Or am I dreaming?
>
> I'd rather be corrected now than find out the hard way.
>
> Any advice?+

Did you remember to FLUSH (with read lock) those tables before you
started copying. Alternatively, you could have shutdown your MySQL
instance, too.

If not, then the in-memory and on-disk images of your tables are out of
sync. You may be copying away data that will appear corrupted after
restoration.

--
Shawn Green
MySQL Principle Technical Support Engineer

individual named.  If you are not the named addressee, you are notified that
reviewing, disseminating, disclosing, copying or distributing this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability
for any loss or damage caused by viruses or errors or omissions in the contents
of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. [FriendFinder
Networks, Inc., 220 Humbolt court, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, USA, FriendFinder.com