Gavin,
Right,
that is also an option, but you are really not sure 100% that everything that is on memory is on the disk (buffers etc...)
also if it is definitely good for a disaster recovery.
What I meant is that the only way to have a 100% guaranteed consistent binary backup is when the database is shut down. Of course this is almost never an option, unless (tada) you have a slave dedicated for that.
One remark on your note:

Just a note though, I noticed someone added replication to a slave as a backup
option.  I really discourage that.  Replication makes no guarantees that the
data on your slave is the same as the data on your master.  Unless you're also
checking consistency, a slave should be treated as a somewhat unreliable copy
of your data.

While it is true that replication makes no guarantees, if your slave is not the same as the master and you rely on that for production, you have some problems, try to go to business and say, our slave (which at least 50% of our applications use to read data) is not really in sync, watch their facial expression! Believe me, in many production environments the method used for backups relies on the slave, not on the master. It is so much useful and important that you should have all your efforts go for having a consistent read-only slave 'dedicated' only for backups, no other client messing with it.

Just my two cents

Claudio

Gavin Towey wrote:

You can make binary backups from the master using filesystem snapshots.  You
only need to hold a global read lock for a split second.

Regards,
Gavin Towey