What are they running on those web servers?  PHP?  if so, which is of the
several PHP interfaces to MySQL are they using? (Zend Enterprise does some
smart connection pooling).  Java-based applications tend to use connection
polling more often than not.

You should find out to determine if those sleeping connections are a good
sign or a bad one.

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdyk...@gmail.com