Hi,

I dont remember the details of the past 'experience' but,

did you try a simple:

mysql -uroot -p -h127.0.0.1 -P3306?

and also an anomymous login:
mysql

also make sure you remove the anonymous account if present, sometimes it
introduces strange behaviours as the one you described.

and as suggested already you should see if the grant tables were actually
changed.

Claudio