On 7/22/2011 5:02 PM, Shawn Green (MySQL) wrote:
On 7/21/2011 22:45, Tim Thorburn wrote:
Hello,

For those keeping score, this will be the second time in the past few
months I've come upon this problem. To recap, this is happening on a
development laptop running Win7 64-bit Ultimate and MySQL 5.5.13. This
morning, all was working well. This evening, I launched MySQL Workbench
5.2.34 CE to work on a table. When I attempt to access the server from
within Workbench, I'm now prompted with a window asking for my password.
Of course, my password is not accepted when I enter it - I'm presented
with error #2000.

Just to confirm, mysql --version returns:
mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.5.13, for Win64 (x86)

This is not an upgrade, after my last mishap, I once again formatted the
laptop with a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit as well as
MySQL 5.5.13. I've begun digging through bugs.mysql.com, but I'm not
seeing any standing out. I should point out that this problem also
breaks any sites running on this dev laptop as all passwords are no
longer accepted.

Any thoughts on what may be causing this? It seems to be happening every
month or so at this point.

Thanks in advance,
-Tim Thorburn

* Check your binary logs, someone may actually be changing your passwords.
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/mysqlbinlog.html

* Be careful with what you backup/restore. You may accidentally revert your tables to a condition before you set the password.

* mysql.exe is the command-line client. While it would be unusual to have a client utility that is of a different version than your server, the actual command to determine the version of the MySQL database server would be

mysqld --version

* did you attempt to login using mysql to see if the passwords really were different? Remember, the account 'root' for a new installation is not created without a password. If you had restored a very old copy of that table, that might have been your situation.

* are you aware of the "lost password reset" instructions in the manual?
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/resetting-permissions.html

Hi Shawn,

Thanks for the reply. As this has happened before, and because I'm on a deadline, I ended up stopping the MySQL service with NET STOP MYSQL, then started MySQL with the skip-grant-tables option so that I could log in as root and make a backup via mysqldump. After this, I uninstalled MySQL from Control Panel, then proceeded to delete C:\Program Files\MySQL and C:\ProgramData\MySQL directories before rebooting to do a clean install of MySQL 5.5.14.

Before this, I did try to simply reset the root password by once again stopping the MySQL service, starting it with --skip-grant-tables; however regardless of what I changed the password to, I received the same error. This error was present for each login I had on the MySQL server.

Unfortunately, now that I've uninstalled and deleted the previous MySQL directories, it seems unlikely that I'll have access to the previous set of logs. I do, however, have a complete backup of --all-databases from mysqldump. Would there be anything in here that might shed some light on the issue?

I'm at a loss here. The only "different" things I had done between when MySQL was working and when it decided to no longer accept my passwords was to launch Chrome instead of Firefox to load a specific Google page and to allow Bonjour to update iTunes and Safari on this laptop. Though I can't see how either of those would have any impact on MySQL.

Thanks again,
-Tim Thorburn