Hi.... inline there.

On 30.11.2011, at 0:16, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> Most people do not expect a gas tank to shrink once the
>> gas is consumed...right?
>
> WHO THE FUCK is comparing computers with a gas tank?

Well, I do.  I even managed to do it without using foul language.

Forgot to say.  Opinions said here are mine and aren't official position of my
company.
I have also not said anything about Apple products.  I did not even imply using
OSX as
the OS for MySQL.

I appreciate that the above could be given some understanding and, if not too
much to ask, respect.

>> I didn't have a pleasure to use dbmail.   I presume it does something with
>> mail users.
>> Thinking logically,  if I got rid of my biggest mail user, I might
>> eventually get another user,
>> even bigger one, which would consume the same space vacated by the deceased
>> user.
>> So why would I want to give up the space then?
>
> sorry but this is bullshit and can only come from @apple.com workers
> which is the comapny who sold over years much to expensive X-Serve
> with f**ng "Hitatchi Deskstar" disks and it seems you have never seen
> a real computer with server-hardware nor had to pay one
>
> as we migrated to dbmail our mail-volume was the double size as
> now two years later because there was one customer exceeding
> all limits and on the old machines where no quotas and we
> decided to get rid of him because this and other reasons
>
> and better do not start a braindead discussion why there was no
> quotas because the old machine was a apple x-serve with a f**ing
> eudora mail server and was migrated by me to a real server and
> it was not my decision use your companies crap much too long
>
> fact is that because using files_per_table i could reduce the datasize
> to the half and on the slave is running a weekly backup and one
> "last-week" accessable via imap for imapsync
>
> so we have only here FOR copies of the data
> additionally a daily offsite-backup is running
> oh and not to forget: VMware-Data-Recovery
>
> and last but not list two external 4 TB disks (full encrypted), one inhouse
> and one outside to cover cases where the SAN storage or whatever is damaged

There are a lot of things in this life to be upset about.  Empty gas tanks is
one thing.
But I would not spill all that frustration on the very first person I meet on
the net.

Taking the logical part of what was said above, there existed a database that
possibly was able to save the space by using files_per_table.   Does this
somehow
mean that there are no other databases in the world?

>> If the people do not have the knowledge to do exports/imports, the brand new
>> and cool file management feature will not help them either.
>
> damned we are speaking about DEFAULTS making life hard or not so hard

Oh, we do?   So we kinda consider it as given that MySQL has to wiggle out his
way
to suit our task, without us bothering about it.   That would be so nice...

>> Essentially, the instructions how to use that feature are written in the
>> same book
>> as the instructions how to do export/imports.  If we consider it as given
>> that people
>> would never read, it is a dead end.
>
> and apple is one of the companies which are resposible that more and
> more braindead zombies are runnin out there by telling the world that
> nobody should have to read any documentation - and now your arguments
> are "it is a dead end" -> well, it's your companies philosophy

Such philosophy is not Apple's.  It is common sense.   However, it only applies
to the products,
all components of which are controlled by the vendor.   For example, if you buy
yourself a TV,
lucky you, you want to be able to turn it on and off without reading the
documentation.   But
the database server is NOT the product to which you want to apply such logic.
It is part of other
things that cannot be controlled by the vendor: for example OS below or
application on top.