I prefer:
* Master-Master ("dual master") but write to only one of them.  (Writing to
both can lead to duplicate keys, etc., unless you are very careful in your
code.)
* Have the two Masters geographically separate.  (Think tornados, floods,
earthquakes, etc)
* Have Slave(s) hanging of each master -- (1) for read scaling, and (2) to
avoid a major outage when one Master goes down and you need to take the other
one down to clone it.

Another thing to consider:
Backing up via a "LVM snapshot" requires only a minute or so of downtime,
regardless of dataset size.
Percona's XtraBackup is also very good.

I also agree that MyISAM in not best.  But, caution, InnoDB's disk footprint is
2x=3x bigger than MyISAM's.

You can Load Balance reads (among slaves and, optionally, masters); you cannot
do writes.

Any number of Apache servers can talk to MySQL.  But watch out -- MaxClients
should not be so large that it swamps max_connections.

Load balancing:
DNS is the simple way to load balance Apache.
There are low-impact software solutions.
There are hardware solutions.  (This is what I am used to at work; it is severe
overkill for most users.)

Bottom line:  There is no "best" or "perfect" solution.  First decide what
'keeps you up at night'.