Thanks everyone for suggestions.

I am doing this on a test box  with a copy of our db before doing this
on production db servers.

I just upgraded from 5.0 to 5.1, and ran mysql_upgrade

and see I have a few tables with the following error:

error    : Table upgrade required. Please do "REPAIR TABLE
`tablename`" or dump/reload to fix it!

I got this on 4 tables so far, but it still checking, my database is
huge so might be a while.

The question I have what is the best way to fix this?

To install all I did was remove all of the 5.0, and then did a yum
install 5.1 on my AWS machine.  and then just started mysql.

Should I instead do a complete mysqldump, and use that instead?