While it might be GA I would not recommend that you deploy it for a while.
... at least several point releases. There will be new bugs uncovered as it
moves out to a wider audience.

Upgrade to 5.5 (through 5.1) first as it is quite proven. Slave 5.6 off it
and test. Be patient. Save yourself some heartache. Just my two cents.

Keith