Dear Maggie,

http://mysql.com/Downloads/MySQL-3.23/mysql-3.23.39-win.zip has a
SETUP.EXE which will install MySQL (database server plus client tools to
work with the server) - by default it will install in C:\mysql. After
setup, it's easiest to restart Windows. Now, the MySQL server should
load. You will find a traffic light symbol in the system tray (lower
right corner of your screen). Right click on it, and choose
 - Win9.x > Start the server standalone (for Win 95 / 98)
 - or WinNT > Install the service, then WinNT > Start the service (for
Win NT or Win 2000)

If the traffic light symbol isn't there, you have to start this tool
manually:
 - C:\mysql\bin\winmysqladmin.exe
 Afterwards, same procedure as above.

To connect to the database server, you can use the MySQL Monitor (a
command line tool, very good for learning SQL, but make sure you have a
good book like Paul Dubois' "MySQL", and / or the MySQL manual which is
found here after setup: C:\mysql\Docs\manual.html). There is a graphical
frontend, too (C:\mysql\bin\MySqlManager.exe).

Regards,

--
  Stefan Hinz
  Geschäftsführer / CEO iConnect e-commerce solutions GmbH