From: Ed Carp [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 8:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; 'Sinisa Milivojevic'
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Use of the MySQL logo - licensing agreement

> My point, and I believe Ed's point, is that I'm not clear on use of the
> MySQL logo in my software, printed material, etc.

What concerns me is that the new logo licensing stuff is so restrictive,
*anyone* who even displays the logo on a web site ("powered by MySQL") has
to get WRITTEN PERMISSION to do so from MySQL AB.  I'm uncomfortable with
that, particularly since it's free advertising for MySQL, and the way I look
at it, anyone who displays the logo on their web site (except for blatantly
trying to rip off MySQL in some way) is doing MySQL a favor, and it seems
particularly ungrateful to the developer community to force them to jump
through all kinds of hoops to do MySQL a favor.

Does that make any sense?  I'm not trying to slam MySQL, I'm just concerned
about displaying the logo on a web site that says "powered by MySQL" or
modifying the logo like folks used to do to produce all kinds of cool
enhancements to the name MySQL.