On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Steve Meyers wrote:

> Trim won't work because the newline is in the middle of the string.  Try using the
>REPLACE function, ie
>
> UPDATE hotel SET nome_hotel=replace(nome_hotel, '\n', '')

Ok it replaced it.

> For the second question, it actually doesn't matter if it's CAPS or not.  The group
>by will be done in a case insensitive manner.  However, if you really need it
>lowercase, try this:
>
> SELECT LOWER(nome_hotel) FROM hotel GROUP BY 1

The result is
mysql> SELECT id, LOWER(nome_hotel) FROM hotel GROUP BY 2 limit 10;
+------+---------------------+
| id   | LOWER(nome_hotel)   |
+------+---------------------+
| 3825 |                     |
| 3391 | abi d'oru           |
| 5208 | abou                   nawas djerba |
| 3063 | abou nawas djerba   |
| 1252 | adams beach         |
| 9757 | aegean                         village   |
| 7973 | aegean              |
| 8917 | aegean village      |
| 8122 | aegeon              |
| 8284 | aeneas              |

Atain 5208 and 3063 are the same so is 9757 and 8917.  I just want only
one of them to appear.

Thanks

Adrian