Hi!

DownloadFAST> I have not read the MySQL license in detail.
DownloadFAST> Does it allow someone or a group to start another fork of the source that
DownloadFAST> is independent from the current developers?

Yes, you are allowed to do a fork. You should however be aware of that
it's normally a terrible idea to do a fork a successful GPL project and
it will normally hurt the total project more than the benefit you get
from it.

As we here at MySQL AB work actively with the open source community
and are not in the habit of rejecting patches, I don't see any reasons
for doing a fork.

Could you be kind and explain why you think a fork is necessary and
what benefits this would bring you compared to the current situation ?

DownloadFAST> If yes, is any one else interested in starting a fork in which the
primary
DownloadFAST> goal would be to improve the smaller todos and performance for small
sites
DownloadFAST> (the majority who use MySQL)?

I don't see how a fork would help you do that.  It's much better to
have a coordinate MySQL development to avoid that no one does
duplicated work and also to ensure the quality of the server code.

We here at MySQL AB are constantly working on adding new features to
MySQL that is improving performance and stability for all MySQL users.

We also have a open development model that allows anyone to take part
of our development plan and also help us with things that they feel
are important from them.

If you really want to help with MySQL development, then the right way
to do this is to email what you want to do and suggestions of how you
plan to do this to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  All core MySQL
developers are on this list and we are actively responding to all
emails that are sent to this lists with suggestions and new ideas.

If you want to get your changes into the main MySQL version, you have
to ensure that you don't break any existing code and that your patch
doesn't tie our hands of how we want to do things into the future.
You also have to get MySQL AB a shared copyright of the code.

Up to date, very few patches of additions to MySQL has been reject
(Some has been totally rewritten to better fit MySQL, but that is
another story...)

DownloadFAST> It seems to me that the direction of MySQL is now heading more towards
big
DownloadFAST> sites given the features in 4.0.

We think that most MySQL users will greatly benefit from all features
that we are adding to MySQL.  What features on our todo are not
interesting to you?

We have 10+ developers that are actively working on extending MySQL in
a lot of different ways.  We are constantly adding both small and big
features to MySQL, according to what our users (both paying and not
paying) wants to have in MySQL.

>From where did you get the idea that we are only working on the MySQL
4.0 TODO and not paying attention of all other things that we have on
our todo ?

Have you every thought that there is a reason for why we do things in
a certain order?
(The answer is that if you do things in the right order, you don't
have to recode everything when the underlying things changes)

The reason we haven't done not DEFAULT checking in MYSQL yet are:

a) Not many of the MySQL users have found this important.
b) This will be much easier to do when we have done the basic changes
   we are doing in 4.0

You don't seem to have understood that 4.0 is mainly a format change
release to make it easier to do the rest of the things we have on out
TODO (like adding DEFAULT checking in a way that it doesn't cause
problems with old MySQL applications)

Could you please specify more explicitely which features you are
interested in having in MySQL?

DownloadFAST> Since people in this list have challenged me, I have decided it would be
DownloadFAST> best to rise to their challenge and create a whole other fork if
possible.

No one I know of has challenged you to do a fork.  It has come to my
attention that some people has suggested that you should yourself add
things that you require from MySQL into the MySQL source.  This
doesn't however in anyway implicate a fork, but instead that you
should help the MySQL team with their work.

I suggest you read Eric Raymonds books to understand the value of
keeping open source project coordinated.

DownloadFAST> I also think we could create a community that is more tolerant of ideas
and
DownloadFAST> dissent.

We are MySQL AB are always ready to accept reasonable patches.
What more can you ask from us ?

DownloadFAST> Again my proposal would be for a very small community of core developers,
DownloadFAST> and for a very narrow focus of basically taking the stable 3.23 release
and
DownloadFAST> merely refining it.  And try to make a product to sell for profit which
DownloadFAST> would be more targetted towards the newbie user who wants to pay $100
for a
DownloadFAST> database for his web site.  And the core developers would share the
DownloadFAST> profits.  We would keep this group small so as to avoid the politics and
DownloadFAST> inefficiences of large focuses.  But we would maintain professional lines
DownloadFAST> of communication with all users and readily accept their needs and
dissent.

You can sell a forked MySQL program, but you can't hinder the paying
customer to do give the forked program away to anyone for free. The
fork must of course also be GPL and not conflict with the MySQL trademark.

<cut>

DownloadFAST> Let me know if you think my idea has merit.  But please no personal
attacks
DownloadFAST> and all that other noise.  Just to the point if we can.

If what you are trying to accomplish is to get features you need into
the MySQL code, then I belive your best option is to work with us at
MySQL AB to do so.

Regards,
Monty