On Friday 09 Nov 2001 03:36, DownloadFAST.com wrote:
> Mr. Bobic,

[snip]

> The only thing that matters is that every time you respond on the list, you
> are only making a fool of yourself in the eyes of the many people who are
> lurking.  They can see right thru your motives in sending this post below.

LOL. So much for "no personal attacks" that you called for. At least you're
being consistent, I suppose.

As for growing up, the things that one tends to learn when they grow up is
that life is about being reasonable and about compromise. Taking on the
entire MySQL (or any established open source development effort) with the "I
want this feature, and I want it now, because I _know_ it must be simple to
implement even though I haven't exactly looked at what is involved" attitude
isn't necessarily a compromising nor reasonable thing to do, in terms of time
or effort. Considering the features you want (IIRC you only mentioned the
default values in tables) - why don't you try PostgreSQL instead? I have said
it before and I'll say it again - use the product that works best for YOUR
particular application.

There are at least 5 free open source SQL DBMSes (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP,
Interbase, MiniSQL). Before you hopelessly start trying to make one into
another, you may find that a more rewarding exercise in terms of your time is
to just use the one that is better geared toward your target application.
That would at least show that you have studied the problems in your
application and done the relevant homework. Complacency, resistance to
learning, just wanting a "quick patch" and the "I'm OK, you are not OK"
attitude don't do much for the display of how serious you are being (or
trying to be).

The gauntlet has been thrown by you, and the response was your invitation to
join the development effort (see Arjen's post on the list). The whole point
of open source development is that if you don't like what something is like,
you can just go and do it better. It's the ultimate put-up or shut-up
competitive environment. You lead, you follow, or you get out of the way. To
lead, you need followers that believe you are fit to do so. To follow, you
need to find a leader you approve of and that approves of you. Getting out of
the way is the easiest, but also the least rewarding action to take.

Humble regards.

Gordan