>Considering the features you want (IIRC you only mentioned the
>default values in tables) - why don't you try PostgreSQL instead?

My understanding is it is much slower.

>There are at least 5 free open source SQL DBMSes (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SAP,
>Interbase, MiniSQL). Before you hopelessly start trying to make one into
>another,

I was not trying to turn one into the other.  I wanted to keep the speed of
MySQL, while in this one case get a check on schema before insert (which
has nothing to do with speed).  And probably other little things that will
come up in the next couple of months or so.  Not totally transform it.  And
I was never proposing anything that was contrary to the way it SHOULD work.

But the more important thing that has been learned here, is to find out
what kind of people are in the community.  Because one can learn a lot
about the future direction and success based on the people who are involved.

And what I learned is that some (I don't know what % yet) are very
dogmatic, closed-minded, intolerant, rude, unprofessional, and down right
blood thirsty.  Not the kind of people I would want to contribute to or be
a part of.

And I also learned that MySQL has a license which says we can take their
great work, and basically resell it and use it to make a profit for
ourselves, as long as we give back any source code changes.

In 3.23 they basically stabilized all the major issues for a typical
low-end web database.  So really the thing is there for the taking, if one
wanted to just focus on a small set of goals.  It may not be me, but
someone else my have already started on that business opportunity.

I really did not want to learn the source.  I have too many other things to
do.  But if I have to learn the source to protect my investment, then I
might as well do action and not beg people who I do not like.

The best way to erase all this noise and measure who is smarter, is in the
competitive arena.