"PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson (Sams
Publishing, Copyright 2001) is the best book on the market I think. But it
depends on your skill level. This book has a section on basic PHP language,
another section on setting up MySQL databases, and a third section with practical
examples of PHP/MySQL projects, including source code etc.

This book covers 90% of everything you'd need to REALLY know. For the other 10%,
I like to use the WROX series "Professional PHP Programming" by Castagnetto,
Rawat, Schumann et. al. It has more fine details of the PHP language which
Welling and Thomson just couldn't cover. But the WROX book only has one chapter
on interfacing with MySQL. It does have a nice library of MySQL functions in the
glossary, however, which Welling and Thomson would have been really wise to
incorporate.

The two of these books make a SLAMMING dynamic duo. You just can't fail with
them.

Bryan

--
CAPITANO WEB CONSULTING