Cool. As with many folks here, I barely had time to get everything up and running
before we were "in production".  The MySQL books I have are pretty long on SQL,
CGI and PHP, but extremely thin on "real" administrative information.  I'd say
"rushed to print", but that might seem unkind (even if true).

> Also see the mysqldump section in the manual
> (http://www.mysql.com/doc/m/y/mysqldump.html).
>
> > I have database mysqldump outputs that were 15 megabytes [...]
> > I have never had any problem.  Now, perhaps 10-15 megs is not considered
> > "large".  Well, we started in August with a 2 meg database, and we're
> > adding users every day. We currently have 775 users, but may expand to
> > over 10000 before this time next year.
>
> What lots of people regard as 'large' or 'huge' is actually pretty small,
> considering there are terabyte size production installations of MySQL servers
> ;-)

<Sigh>  I know.  Our application is a mere "drop in the bucket" at present. <G>

> Importing a dump file is simply executing a list of CREATE DATABASE/TABLE
> followed by INSERT statements. It's nothing special. If if causes problems,
> there are a meriad of possibilities including source bad compiles and
> operating system problems. I'm sure anyone would agree that a quick&sloppy
> installation from source by a disinterested ISP who is not knowledgable about
> MySQL, is a sure recipe for disaster....

Now you're NOT actually implying that some folks who know nothing of databases
actually install MySQL without reading the manual or books, and then wonder why it
doesn't run "properly"? <G>

> However, the article provides no info on it so it's really impossible no tell.
> We don't have operating system info, MySQL version info, compile info (if
> installed from source), configuratation, or anything else. Most unfortunate.

Maybe this person *deserves* Postgress. Better yet, we could put them onto the
benefits of Focus. (now there was a DBMS that invoked terror from those forced to
use it) <G>

> > I'll keep this list posted of any problems, but so far the performance
> > has been exceptional.
>
> Indeed, posting a problem on the list, together with all relevant info as
> described above, is very useful. Often the issue is resolved quickly with info
> from another user. And occasionally, a bug IS found, which can then be fixed
> by the developers.

I might add that posting solutions - i.e. someone has things working well, found a
new way to make something happen - is also a great thing for this list.

> > However, once I had downloaded and installed MySQL, I became a convert.
> > MySQL is very robust, VERY fast, and has a very tiny footprint compared
> > to other database products.
>
> Thanks! ;-)
>
> Regards,
> Arjen.

By the way.  Are there plans to create a new binary for Solaris 8 on Intel?  The
last Solaris / Intel binary would not run - always did a core dump.

Thanks,

-Richard