Hi Arjen,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arjen G. Lentz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tony Buckley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 1:40 AM
Subject: Re: From Oracle to the MySQL Database Server

> But eh, what are those gripes about transactions and locking?
> Are you aware that the MySQL server with the InnoDB table handler (since
over
> a year now!) features full transactional capabilities including row level
> locking? You just need to grab a 3.23-Max version, or compile 3.23 from
> source, or any 4.0 version.
> For more info on the InnoDB table handler, see
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/InnoDB.html in the online manual.

Yep, I do know about that and I was wrong not to mention it.  It's just
something that I haven't set up to use yet because I don't 'need' it as
another level of complexity (at the moment).  I love the idea of being able
to choose whether I want it or not.  For what I am doing at the moment I
really don't need it - a few hanging FK's or missing children won't bother
me as I am dealing with statistical analysis and as long as the failures are
within tolerence than that's fine!  It's just so fast compared to what I
have been using!

When I said 'gripes', I didn't mean mine - there are the usual knockers who
probably haven't looked at page 1 of the manual let alone tried the system.
I have come across experienced database people who get very snotty when they
find out about transactional processing not being inherent in mySQL even
though there are some very commercial systems out there that have the same
approach to get the speed they need.  People's attitudes (especially those
with an Oracle background IMHO) are very hard to change.

Thanks for adding to my misleading note.

Are there any highend figures to estimate the performance hit by using
InnoDB across the platforms?

Tony