Netscrap 4.78
oops sorry mispelled that one.. Netscape :)

I do loads of html and I hate Netscape with a passion, I think 6.2
renders pages like IE4, but I'm not even sure, and only .2% of websurfer
use it. www.technodium.net/kira/kira.htm check this out with IE =
perfect.. chek it out with NS, different for every version, even if all
the tags are ok

As for email spamming, you are right, since it's taken from a database.
Unless the archive was called e-may, I think we might not have to
protect the emails beyond leaving them outside of static webpages:-)

Etienne

Robert Alexander wrote:

> At 09:33 -0500 2001/12/17, Etienne Marcotte wrote:
> >This is a very very good search engine for the mailing list!!! Great
> >work
>
> Thank you!
>
> >Two things:
>
> >2- Put the "Any Date" checked by default so we don'T have to always
> >click it:-) (I'm lazzzzy) You could add some javascript so that the
> >range is celected when something is entered in the from or to fields
>
> Second one first:  "Any Date" is already checked by default. What
> browser/OS are you using?
>
> >1- Is it possible to remove our full email adresses?
> >   To put like emarcott@... or emarcott at itl dot ca (like the
> >mysqldeveloper archive.
> >

> >my 2 cents
> >
> >#2 is not a big thing, but #1 is pretty important against spam and spam
> >bots.
> >
> >Etienne
>
> A valid concern, Etienne, and one that's very important to me, too.
> Word's fail me in describing how much I detest spam -- well, at least
> polite ones do.  :-/
>
> I believe our information is safe in this case, though. Let me explain why:
>
> To the best of my knowledge, Email harvesting 'bots (spambots) use
> technology similar to that used by the big web search engines.  Those
> companies, like Google, Yahoo, etc., run two main pieces of software;
> one (a 'spider') that continually accesses all the sites on the web
> -- well, they hope it's all of them -- and stores information about,
> or a complete copy of, each page they find.  These pages are stored
> in their database on their big, fire-breathing computers (it's a
> staggering amount of data) and that's what the _other_ piece of
> software, the search engine, looks through when you do a search.
>
> The spambots do basically the same thing -- they gather up web pages.
> They, however, simply extract anything that looks like an email
> address.  These lower-than-pond-scum then add that to their database
> (350 MILLION TARGETTED EMAIL ADDRSSES FOR ONLY $399.00!) and lie that
> you 'opted-in' or 'expressed an interest.'
>
> Fortunately, search engine page gatherers and spambots can access
> only 'static' html pages that exist on a server and can be searched.
> The pages you see when you search the email archive are safe from
> 'bots because they don't even _exist_ until you ask for them --
> they're generated on-the-fly, on demand, and they're sent directly to
> your computer.
>
> The content of the archive is visible only to the person doing the
> search.  So, it's a 99% solution.  There's still the chance that an
> unscrupulous person could go to the effort of doing an archive search
> in the hopes of getting some email addresses to spam, but that's
> simply not their style; that's too much like legitimate work.
> Pirating email addresses is 'profitable' (I guess) if they let a
> computer do all the work; it's not if a person has to write them down
> or type them in.

> [...]

Etienne Marcotte
Specifications Management - Quality Control
Imperial Tobacco Ltd. - Montreal (Qc) Canada
514.932.6161 x.4001