OK, I think I've read the docs and am doing everything right, but I simply
cannot get the "mysql" program to accept a password for any user other than
root.

I'm on RedHat Linux 7.2, with MySQL version 3.23.46.

I can get the root password set up fine, and I log in with it.  I can even
change it:

   mysql> set password for root=password('newrootpw');
   mysql> \q

   shell$ mysql -p -u root
   Enter password:

   Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g....

So far so good.  Next I try to create another database and another user.

   mysql> create database rknop;
   Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

   mysql> grant all on rknop.* to rknop identified by 'testpw';
   Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

   mysql> \q

Here's the problem:

   shell$ mysql -p -u rknop rknop
   Enter password:
   ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'rknop@localhost' (Using password: YES)

I've also tried (as root in mysql)

   mysql> set password for rknop=password('testpw');

To no avail.  For reference, the user table has:

    mysql> select * from user where user='rknop'\G
               Host: %
               User: rknop
           Password: 12ab181d57a7f4be
        Select_priv: N
        Insert_priv: N
        Update_priv: N
        Delete_priv: N
        Create_priv: N
          Drop_priv: N
        Reload_priv: N
      Shutdown_priv: N
       Process_priv: N
          File_priv: N
         Grant_priv: N
    References_priv: N
         Index_priv: N
         Alter_priv: N
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

The /var/log/mysqld.log file says nothing after the startup "ready for
connections" message, and as such can shed no light on the situation.

Can anybody offer me any suggestions as to how to get around this
predicament?

Thanks,

-Rob