I see 2 possible problems:

1) syntax:  I had to experiment with the mysql line a bit before
it worked.  Try:
mysql -urknop -p
password

(Note no space before username, password last)

2) Your user has no permissions at all:  I've never tried that, but
I wouldn't be surprised if it made login impossible.  Try setting a
few first.

Good luck!

Steve

Steve Rapaport