query ok I would expect to see, but "no rows affected" ??? this must mean it
has not altered the database at all ??

I created a 2 new users, dba and matt

I did grant all privileges to *.* to dba@"%"

I cannot conntect from anything host as dba.

I then did

grant all privileges to *.* to matt@"jaguar.no-dns.co.uk" (my laptop)

I got the no rows affected message and I cannot connect from the machine
jaguar.

something must be wrong. I used stand the pricinpals of the grant command
but I cannot understand why no rows are affected. It does not surprise me
that I cannot connect when no rows are affected.

any other suggestions.

Thanks for going into detail on this I am learning.

Matt.