The mysql user permissions are just a table in the mysql database.  Whenever
you do a GRANT, you're really just doing an INSERT or UPDATE against this
table.  You can do SELECTs, INSERTs, UPDATEs, etc. against this table (the
'user' table), just like any other table.  The only way to "corrupt user
accounts" is to corrupt this table in some way.  There is no magic here.

james montebello